[OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed - some benchmarks

John Rudd jrudd@ucsc.edu
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:05:08 -0700

Jim Rees wrote:

> NFSv4 doesn't have uids.  It uses Kerberos principal names directly for
> authorization purposes, for example in the acls.

So, files on the NFS server are owned by user/principle name, instead of
being owned by UID number (the way things are usually done with unix
file systems)?

Does this mean the NFSv4 client will have to translate from the unix UID
of the user doing that file transaction to a principle name, and then do
all of its transactions that way?

(I'm hoping it will be per-transaction and not per-mount, as the latter
would greatly suck ... yet, it's my understanding that the latter is
exactly how previous kerberized nfs's have worked)