[OpenAFS] Openafs-Client and Windows

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 17:36:06 -0500

Mr. Engert,

We mount a global drive to the top of our AFS file system for our users
called the "n:" drive.  The drive is mounted by a system startup
script.  Since the drive is mounted by user SYSTEM, once mounted, the users
can't remove it because they don't have admin privileges.

I know that the AFS client config allows the setup of global drives and
sub-mounts, but this is an auxiliary function to its purpose.  I've never
wanted to use the AFS client config for mounting the global drives because
it isn't a "clean" way to do it, ie it isn't scriptable.

The ability to mount other "rooted" drives from the global drive works
simply by using the "subst.exe" command.

For example:

net use n: \\pc1-afs\all

will mount the "n:" drive to the top of the AFS file system.

and,

subst.exe u: n:\domain\usr\username

will create a "rooted" "u:" drive to a user's AFS home directory.

For more info see appendix C)  XP Workstation Boot Script "mosaicd.cmd" in...

http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer/krblogon.htm

This might help.

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
x86 Systems Programmer
Mosaic Computing Group
William States Lee College of Engineering
Email rmdyer@uncc.edu
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150
FAX (704)687-2352