[OpenAFS] networking thought/question

Tim C. tim@umbc.edu
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:51:30 -0500 (EST)

  For the sake of this email, I'll simplify our afs network.  Say I've
got two afs file servers which are Sun Netra boxes(which have two
network interfaces), and one of these is contains readwrite and
readonly, and the other server contains readonly copies of all the stuff
on the first server.
  For the visually/technically minded folks, here's a vos examine of a
volume modified to explain:

root.cell                         # RW         24 K  On-line
    fs1.afs /vicepa
*blah blah blah*
    number of sites -> 3
       server fs1.afs partition /vicepa RW Site
       server fs1.afs partition /vicepa RO Site
       server fs2.afs partition /vicepa RO Site

  Okay, so both the servers(fs1 and fs2) have their primary interface to
use, and ifconfiged as fs1 and fs2 appropriately.

</end description>

  What I was thinking was that when you're moving volumes around, and
releasing them, it's using a bit of network traffic over the public
interface that seems like a waste.  So what I'd like to do is setup a
private network using the second interfaces of all the fileservers(fs1
and fs2) to be used for inter-fileserver communication.

  So what has to happen is when I release root.cell in the above
example, it says okay, I'm fs1, and I need to dump to fs2, so I used the
second interface to get to it.

  Now my first though is that it's really simple and I just need to
setup a private network, say 192.168.1.0, and then have a route setup
like: route add default fs2 -interface gateway hme1

  So does anyone see anything "bad" with this, have any better
suggestions, or otherwise have any comments?

Thanks,
  Tim

Tim Craig            These are my opinions and not my employers. :)
OIT-Systems
tim@umbc.edu         It's hard to be serious when you're
                       naked. - Garfield