[OpenAFS] networking thought/question

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:04:59 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Tim C. wrote:

>        server fs1.afs partition /vicepa RW Site
>        server fs1.afs partition /vicepa RO Site

What purpose does that serve?  That RO copy seems to be just wasting drive
space.  If it were on a different partition, IMHO, it would at least have
debatable value.

>   So what has to happen is when I release root.cell in the above
> example, it says okay, I'm fs1, and I need to dump to fs2, so I used the
> second interface to get to it.
>
>   Now my first though is that it's really simple and I just need to
> setup a private network, say 192.168.1.0, and then have a route setup
> like: route add default fs2 -interface gateway hme1

Though I'm not an expert on this topic, it sounds like bad things would
happen.  If you start sending packets addressed to public IPs on a private
network, how will they be delivered?  You'd have to convince the
fileserver that it should know about two interfaces, and only use the
internal one for intra-fileserver communication.

[ t charles clancy ]--[ tclancy@uiuc.edu ]--[ www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy ]