[OpenAFS] virus scanner?

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:17:27 +0000

Hello Klaas,

It is possible to use something like Norton AV to scan AFS space.
I have done this and it works OK.

However, some AFS cells are pretty big and it is a non-trivial
task to scan every byte from a Windoze client running NAV.
I also don't like the idea of running processes with admin access
from inherently insecure systems.

The idea of hooking an anti-virus scan into the backup seems a neat idea.
Some email MIME AV sweepers may be adapted for this?

It could also help to classify a cell's data into static and dynamic data.
"Static" would include things like on-line documentation and
files that are generally ReadOnly to 99% of cell users.

"Dynamic" would include $HOMEs, $PROJECTs, and spool directories.

It would make more sense to focus more of the anti-virus activity
on the "dynamic" data rather than the "static".
--
cheers
paul                            http://acm.org/~mpb