[OpenAFS] Windows hangs on login

Ted Anderson TedAnderson@mindspring.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:38:10 -0500

After installing OpenAFS v1.2.8a on my Windows 2000 Pro + SP3 box
yesterday I find that I have trouble loggin in.  When I log in I get a
blank screen which normally is replaced by the "loading your settings"
dialog.  Since installing AFS this blank, blue screen remains for a long
time.  However, the work around it to type CRLT-ALT-Del, which
immediately triggers the "loading your settings" dialog and proceeds
with an apparently normal log in.

I cannot find any cause for the delay in the event log.  I disabled all
drive mapping, but that didn't help.  Immediately before the
installation I uninstalled IBM-AFS and at first had troubles getting the
OpenAFS installation to work, as I had failed to reboot between the
uninstall and install.  However, I think I cleaned up this mess by
completely starting over (several times actually).

I also installed AFS on a laptop which is also W2K+SP3 with the same
settings, but it does not exhibit this behavior.  However, the network
setup on that machine is a little different, specifically the network is
off by default and I usually turn it on after logging in.  To me it
seems the biggest difference is that I got the uninstall of IBM-AFS and
install of OpenAFS to work on the first try with the laptop.  But I
don't know if this is significant.

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

TIA,
Ted Anderson