[OpenAFS] Success moving from AFS 3.6 to Openafs 1.2.8

John Tang Boyland boyland@solomons.cs.uwm.edu
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:39:22 -0600

Today I shutdown our one and only AFS server (running Solaris 8) which
has been running a mostly AFS 3.6 setup and started it up again with
openafs 1.2.8.  It worked perfectly except that I started up the
(unchanged) afs client again and caused a kernel panic.  When I
rebooted, the new vfsck forced a scavenge on /vicepa which generated a
great many messages of the form
      version < inode version; fixed (old status)
But it was apparently successful.  Things seem to be working fine.
Thank you OpenAFS for keeping backwardly compatible and for fixing bugs!
(We're still using (some) AFS 3.6 clients.)

(I'll find out tonight whether backups continue to work right.)

John Boyland