[OpenAFS] Re: Feasibility: Kerberos+OpenAFS for _MacOS_X_10.2_?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
23 Mar 2003 11:38:55 -0500

"Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@ieee.org> writes:

> I'm curious how the Kerberos client built into MacOS X 10.2 is, or if I
> should get a third party plug-in (if available)?  Again, at first I'm
> just going to make accounts local to match the Kerberos server.  I'll
> get LDAP running later as I add more systems.

I think the built-in KfM will be good enough to get you tickets,
but I don't know if the MacOS-X distribution actually includes
aklog.  Other than that, it should work fine.

> What about the OpenAFS server for MacOS X 10.2 if I ever decide to use
> it?  I assume that's even more manageable because it's user-space, but
> I'd still like to make sure.

There are problems with using the standard Mac file system
due to case-insensitivity.  I would not recommend using a Mac
as a file server at this point in time.

-derek