[OpenAFS] AFS server and VMWare ESX

Brian Huntley bhuntley@clarkson.edu
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:03:08 -0500

--=_alternative 006E22C885256CF5_=

Good day everyone...

We are preparing a project plan to migrate our current Transarc AFS cell
living on Sun and IBM UNIX systems to a Linux-based OpenAFS environment.

We are contemplating creating the AFS servers (3-6 of them) as vm's on 2
or 3 physical platforms  using VMWare's ESX server.  Has anyone ever tried
to run an AFS server on a VM?  We are wondering specifically how well AFS
will cope with the virtual disk space it will have available, vs. being
able to access the hardware directly, as it would normally expect.  Any
thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated!
TIA!

Best regards,
Brian
--
Brian T. Huntley, Systems Administrator
Office of Information Technology

--=_alternative 006E22C885256CF5_=

our current Transarc AFS cell living on Sun and IBM UNIX systems to a Linux-based
OpenAFS environment. &nbsp;</font>
servers (3-6 of them) as vm's on 2 or 3 physical platforms &nbsp;using
VMWare's ESX server. &nbsp;Has anyone ever tried to run an AFS server on
a VM? &nbsp;We are wondering specifically how well AFS will cope with the
virtual disk space it will have available, vs. being able to access the
hardware directly, as it would normally expect. &nbsp;Any thoughts or experiences
would be greatly appreciated!</font>
Brian T. Huntley, Systems Administrator<br>
Office of Information Technology<br>
Clarkson University<br>
bhuntley@clarkson.edu<br>
&quot;UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends
are.&quot;<br>
--=_alternative 006E22C885256CF5_=--