[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS] [Q] Funny Traffic ...

Lester Barrows barrows@email.arc.nasa.gov
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:11:27 -0800

Hi,

About the 256k(18) chunksize, do you have a "-dcache <size>" set also?=20
According to the afsd man page, when you're using a memcache you override=
 the=20
cacheinfo file if you specify both dcache and chunksize. In this case, th=
e=20
size of the cache is dcache*chunksize, which if you're using a large dcac=
he=20
might be why your kernel won't load with the large chunksize value. You m=
ay=20
have inadvertantly specified a cache larger than available memory.

To get a 50MB memory cache with chunksize set to 18 for example, you'd wa=
nt to=20
specify a dcache size of 200. I was recently setting up an embedded syste=
m=20
using memcache (it's not good to put the cache on flash memory...) and=20
realized I was doing precisely this.

Regards,

Lester Barrows
Asani Solutions, LLC
Code IC Systems Group
NASA Ames Research Center
Voice: 650-604-2639

On Sunday 30 March 2003 08:09 pm, S.J.Chun wrote:
> Thanks for your help and sorry for late reply. I've configured with ver=
> small size of memory cache, 50MB of memory cache with default chunk
> size.(This is because with chunksize of 256K(18) the kernel cannot load=
 afs
> client so I did not tried on this more) The peformance seems improved v=
ery
> much. But I cannot be sure the client uses its traffic(100Mb) fully. An=
> the server's load is below 20~30%.
>
> Another strange thing: why I cannot kill the process if the process is =
in
> the DW state(I think it is wait until the afs client can give required =
data
> for it. With the current configuration(2 Pentium III with 1Gb of memory=
,
> the maximum client(the real client, not afs client) is 100 concurrent
> clients. More than this causes queuing and the service seems almost
> stopped.
>
> Thanks again for your help and sorry for my poor english.

It
> would take a lot of dirty chunks to affect garbage-collection time (the=
y're
> ignored when cache space is reclaimed, unless there are so many that th=
ey
> _must_ be freed up), but it shouldn't be overlooked.
>
>   If you don't see this behavior (cacheBlocksInUse approaches
>   cacheBlocksTotal, and then reduction in cacheBlocksInUse) let me know=
=2E
>   There are other things that will trigger cache purges -- like running=
 out
> of Vfiles -- that will cause a cache purge to take place even though yo=
u've
> got lots of cache (disk) space left.
>
>   WRT to chunk size, a client was looking for performance improvements =
and
>   experimented with 1 MB chunk size.  In their environment (AFS on a Cr=
ay,
>   CDDI to every user's desktop, several hundred megabyte data files) th=
ey
> saw no improvement over the 64K default. Then again, they had a lot of
> hardware horsepower at the time, had the Cray set up to run multiple
> instances of the OS, and ran AFS server software for each instance of t=
he
> OS.
>
>   According to the IBM AFS Administration Guide for AFS 3.6, setting
>   the -chunksize argument to 0 or setting it to anything greater than 3=
0
> will cause afsd to set default chunksize.
>
>   In other words, valid values are 1-30, unless you want to reset to th=
>   default of 64K.
>
>   Chunk size is set as 2 to the power of -chunksize.  That is, if you
> specify "-chunksize 2" you'll get a chunksize of 4 bytes, and "-chunksi=
ze
> 16" will get you a 64 K chunk size, which is the default.
>
>   2E30 or 1.073741824e9  (a gigabyte) is the largest chunk size permitt=
ed
> by IBM/Transarc AFS 3.6.
>
>   So "-chunksize 30" should give a one gigabyte chunk size.
>
>   And "-chunksize 21" will give you a 2MB chunk size.
>
>   "-chunksize 20" will give you a 1 MB chunk size
>
>   and your chunksize value, to get the 256K chunks, must be 18, right?
>
>   Probably more than you wanted/needed to know.
>
>   Let me know what works in your circumstances, please.  I run into thi=
>   question frequently, and am way out of date on results.
>
>   It's been several years since I fooled around with any of this, and
> current hardware speeds may invalidate what I found then.
>

>   Kim

>   Dexter "Kim" Kimball
>   CCRE, Inc.
>   dhk@ccre.com