[OpenAFS] AFS Perl API bos & vos requirements (resend)

Norbert Gruener nog@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE
Fri, 2 May 2003 10:52:34 +0200

On Thu, May 01 2003, Jenkins, Steven wrote:

> Thanks for the input -- I think that's very good advice.  I had been
> thinking the approach would be to copy some portions of code, and to
> re-use others, but certainly the maintenance would be an issue
> (although I don't know how often vos & bos are touched as a whole).

So far, this was not an issue at all for the other command suites.
None of the C APIs has changed since AFS 3.4.xxx

> I would thus see a reasonable plan of attack as:
>
> - put all of vos.o except the main() into libvos.a, as well as
>   volint.ss.o & volint.cs.o, and then verify that vos still works.  That
>   would primarily be some build hacking.

Do you think that you can convince the OpenAFS developers to do that
step ?   If so, I will be happy.

Maybe I should stop designing the VOS module and wait what will come
out.

> - create a cmd->xs & cmd->perl translator that will automagically
>   build the APIs from the ~200 lines of main().  Worst case would be to
>   do this only partially automated (or even worse, completely by-hand).
>
> bos.c would be handled similarly from bosint.xg & bos.c.
>
> There would be some real interesting/challenging work in providing
> the cmd->xs & cmd->perl (as well as et->xs, et->perl) translators).
> That alone is a good chunk of infrastructure coding.  But on the other
> hand, that part of the code is relatively unchanging & small, so it
> wouldn't be out of the question to do it by hand.

This really depends on the outcome of the previous step.

Cheers,

Norbert
--
Ceterum censeo          | PGP encrypted mail preferred.
Redmond esse delendam.  | PGP Key at www.MPA-Garching.MPG.de/~nog/