[OpenAFS] AFS Perl API bos & vos requirements (resend)

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Fri, 02 May 2003 11:14:29 -0400

--On Friday, May 02, 2003 10:52:34 +0200 Norbert Gruener
<nog@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE> wrote:

>> - put all of vos.o except the main() into libvos.a, as well as
>>   volint.ss.o & volint.cs.o, and then verify that vos still works.  That
>>   would primarily be some build hacking.
>
> Do you think that you can convince the OpenAFS developers to do that
> step ?   If so, I will be happy.

This seems somewhat poorly thought out. The stuff in vos.c is very much
front-end oriented. The functions which take only a struct cmd_syndesc *as
are command parsers for vos. They are not library functions. They call some
utility functions to set things up, and then one of the UV_ or VLDB_
functions from libvolser.a/libvldb.a to do the actual work. I suppose that
it might make sense to put things like WriteData, DumpFunction, and their
dependencies into a library. but not the rest of vos.c. (if you were
considering calling GetServer or cmd_Dispatch from xs code, then, IMO, you
aren't really writing a perl api for the volser library, but something
else. There are serious issues with the volser client code, but this isn't
one of them)