[OpenAFS] inaccessibble volume - please help

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 7 May 2003 10:07:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 May 2003 jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de wrote:

> Hi all
> please bear in mind that I not an experienced afs admin.
> Indeed, it's my first (tiny) afs installation with only a single
> server. This holds several volumes on partitions /vicepa .. /vicepc
> All except one volume are still accessible. I think I have seen an
> error message indicating something like disk full or full volume
> during a rsync transfer sunday night. But 'vos partinfo localhost'
> indicates lots of free space on each partition. Since the failing
> volume cannot be accessed anymore I cannot say if it's full.
> The BosLog for this sunday night shows a lot of messages like
> fs:vol exited on signal 15
> fs:salv exited with code 0
> fs:file exited with code 1

kill all the fileserver processes on the machine with kill -9.

the pthread problem of processes not dying completely is still there, in
different form.

> Could not fetch the list of volumes from the server
> Possible communication failure
> Error in vos listvol command.
> Possible communication failure

no volserver, no communication.

> This communication errors looks strange to me.
> All volumes are on localhost and 'bos status'
> doesn't show any unusual status.

it doesn't show proc starts ever increasing?

> What can I do to recover such a volume and what
> might have been the cause of the failure.

it's not clear any recovery is needed, yet.