[OpenAFS] inaccessibble volume - please help

jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Wed, 07 May 2003 09:39:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all
please bear in mind that I not an experienced afs admin.
Indeed, it's my first (tiny) afs installation with only a single
server. This holds several volumes on partitions /vicepa .. /vicepc
All except one volume are still accessible. I think I have seen an
error message indicating something like disk full or full volume
during a rsync transfer sunday night. But 'vos partinfo localhost'
indicates lots of free space on each partition. Since the failing
volume cannot be accessed anymore I cannot say if it's full.
The BosLog for this sunday night shows a lot of messages like
fs:vol exited on signal 15
fs:salv exited with code 0
fs:file exited with code 1

Of course I have restarted afs and I tried bos salvage
but even  'vos listvol' fails:

root:~# vos listvol localhost
Could not fetch the list of volumes from the server
Possible communication failure
Error in vos listvol command.
Possible communication failure

This communication errors looks strange to me.
All volumes are on localhost and 'bos status'
doesn't show any unusual status.

This is with openafs-1.2.9 on a dual PIII system.

This is not urgent since I can just erase the volume and
recover the data, but it scares me a lot if occurs
with a more valuable volume next time.

What can I do to recover such a volume and what
might have been the cause of the failure.

As far as I know there has been no power failure
or similar problem with the server.
Just I have noticed that afs restarts itself each sunday
night, but I think that's the standard configuration.

Many thanks for sharing your experience,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany