[OpenAFS] Knfs doesn't work on an AFS/NFS translator under OpenAFS

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
21 May 2003 13:31:39 -0400

Renata Maria Dart <renata@SLAC.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> We will definitely move to a different mechanism if the translator
> becomes unsupported, but I see a message from openafs-bugs further
> on in my mailbox and so I think we'll hold out for a fix.

Fair enough.  MIT uses an embedded AFS client with memory cache in its
system installation.

> >Ok, so "legacy"..  Well, tell your NeXT users to get machines that
> >are less than 10 years old....   ;)
>
> As one of our NeXT users just said to me..."You don't TELL NeXT users
> anything!"  ;-)

My personal opinion is that users with that level of obstanance can
be left on their own to sink or swim as they so choose, but you should
feel no compulsion to help them in their delusions of grandeur.  If
that means their machines can no longer talk to AFS, well, they will
either find a way to do so on their own or upgrade.  I suppose they
can complain to you, but if it were me I'd just respond with an "I told
you so!" and turn back to real work.

As much as I loved my Atari 800, at some point it just became too
much of a hastle to keep it running.  I don't even have my 486
(purchased in '93, IIRC) anymore.  If they like their next so much,
tell them to upgrade to a Mac with MacOS X.  :)

-derek