[OpenAFS] (no subject)

Lee Damon nomad@ssli-mail.ee.washington.edu
Thu, 22 May 2003 09:07:03 -0700

> 1.2.9 has been out for over a month. RedHat kernels are moving targets.
> Why set yourself up to fail?

There's a question we've been pondering since the "1.2.9 unstable ?"
thread started.  Is it really safe to go to 1.2.9?  I haven't seen the
shutdown problem but I'm only running it on 2 or 3 boxes out of the
over 100 we have here.  Do I dare make it so I can't safely remotely reboot
systems? I don't see anything in the ticket that makes me think we won't see
the problem here. I don't have the time or skill to dig deeply into
dark corners of code and verify things, so I have to rely on the experiences
of other users, admins and the developers.

We have to deploy the new RH 2.whatever.20-mumble.othernumbers kernel for
security reasons. We're still running OpenAFS 1.2.7 and we'd like to get away
from that security hole.  Therefor, we are planning an upgrade now.

The question is, 1.2.8 (no known security hole, no problems halting systems)
or 1.2.9 (no known security hole, possible reboot issues, no additional
features that we need.)  Which one would you pick based on that data set?

nomad
 -----------                       - Lee "nomad" Damon -          \
work: nomad@ee.washington.edu                                      \
play: nomad@castle.org    or castle!nomad                           \
                                                                    /\
Sr. Systems Admin, UWEE SSLI Lab                                   /  \
                "Celebrate Diversity"                             /    \