[OpenAFS] File Creation and Modification Time in AFS

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 28 May 2003 18:18:49 -0700

Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> writes:
>> From: Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>

>> Out of curiosity, what application do you have for which the ctime is
>> useful information?  I've never missed it.

> One of my customers wanted it.

Do you have any idea what they were going to use it for?

I only ask because some of the assumptions may be broken regardless.  For
example, access rights to an AFS file can change without changing the
ctime, since the rights are all stored in the directory.  And backup
systems, which are normally a primary user of ctime, won't actually work
well in AFS without other modifications since they don't preserve ACLs.