[OpenAFS] OpenAFS support plans for redhat and fedora

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:01:52 -0500

Christopher Arnold <chris@pictage.com> writes:

> There's been a lot of discussion at my company regarding which direction
> we are planning on
> going now that RedHat has announced it's new enterprise business
> initiatives in the coming year.
> I was just curious as to whether or not there are plans to support the
> Fedora project or
> RH enterprise version 3 or both.  Just trying to get a feel for what
> impact to upgrades we might
> expect running OpenAFS on redhat linux.

Are you asking about OpenAFS source compatibility or Binary RPM
Distribution If the former, please stop reading now, I'm only going to
talk about the latter (being the RPM maintainer).

Honestly, I dont know what I'm planning to do in terms of RPM builds.
Previously I've only build RPMS for the official RHL releases and then
tried to keep up with updated kernels.  Each OpenAFS release usually
takes me about 48 hours to complete all the builds.  OTOH, from the
patches being sent in by some Red Hat people it's possible they may
plan to distribute OpenAFS themselves, but I don't know for sure.

Personally, I dont know which releases to actually try to support
anymore.  It takes about 5GB per release to maintain the vmware
installation where I do the builds (of which I've got about 25G free,
IIRC).  In the past I decided not to support beta releases, but with
Fedora I'm just confused about what constitutes a "release" anymore.

Frankly, I dont have the time to build against every "potential"
release -- I want to focus on "real" releases.  So, I've pretty much
been waiting to see how this all plays out.

I should point out that the SRPM will build just fine on RHEL-3.0 with
a minor change to disable the builds for i386 (and maybe i586)
processors.

-derek