[OpenAFS] AFS file-number, volume-size limits?

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:04:23 -0500

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Eben Calhoun wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I am using AFS extensively in a laboratory environment.  One part of our
>>data analysis requires many files to be in one directory.  ( > 32000 files )
>>
>>Does anyone know whether there is some fixed-limit as to how many files
>>one can have in a single directory?
>

> Yes. Search the list archive. Simple answer is "up to 65000 but less
> depending on the length of the filenames".

That's one of the most tantalizing answers I've ever read.  Will have to
dig a little on this one.  (I once worked on a project that routinely
created files with names up to 200 characters long, and lots of them.
Fortunately, most of each name was hidden from the users.)

>>Yes, I know I should have less files in one directory, but 3rd-party
>>software mandates that mess.
>
> LD_PRELOAD a wrapper in which fixes the problem.

Wow, two in a row!  Has anybody got a link to something already written
that does this?  (We have a completely unrelated project with a similar
problem...)

>>Also, what is the actual size limit of an OpenAFS volume?  I've read in
>>many places that it is around 8GB.  One of my volumes has over 13GB's in
>>it.  Is this a problem?
>
> No. Volumes are known to be as large as 45GB and no one has yet tested to
> failure.

Well, that's one answer.  My answer is, it's not a problem until you try
to move it, back it up, or restore it.  If you're set up to handle 13GB
backups/restores (network bandwidth, tapes, patience, etc.), then you're
probably okay.
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /       Energizer Bunny arrested - charged with battery.       /