[OpenAFS] AFS file-number, volume-size limits?

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:03:06 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> Yes. Search the list archive. Simple answer is "up to 65000 but less
> depending on the length of the filenames".

FWIW I found this limit several years back on transarc 3.6 servers.  If I
recall correctly, it's 64K files if filenames are < 32 characters and half
that if filenames are over 32 characters. (this is from memory--I have it
documented somewhere in my hundreds of megs of email...)

The way I found the problem is that a student was trying to create 64K+1
files in a directory and it crashed the fileserver process on the server
housing that volume!  I opened a trouble-ticket with transarc and they
eventually fixed the bug causing the fileserver crash, but when I asked for
a fix to allow > 64K files/directory, I got ... well, not quite laughed at,
but you get the idea.

I don't know if the crash-fix made it into the OpenAFS code or not...

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C

A picture is worth a thousand words; unfortunately,
it consumes the bandwidth of ten thousand words.