[OpenAFS] vos release problem

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:07:47 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> - create a volume at fileserver A (vos create)
> - mount it and create a file within the volume (touch)
> - define fileserver A as replica site (vos addsite)
> - define fileserver B as a second replica site (vos addsite)
> - create the replicas (vos release)
> - create a second file within the volume (e.g. modify the content of
>   the volume's root directory - touch)
> - re-create the replicas (vos release)
> - look into the RO volume, make sure to access fileserver B by setting
>   the fileserver preferences
> - my problem at this point is: the volume's root directory is empty

My earlier guess as to which patch might cause it was probably wrong.

It looks like an fd handle which is connected to an unlinked file is
reused. this sucks, however, it's not the real flaw. the real flaw is
that where it fails to get cleaned up in the first place and thus "looks"
still in use so we continue using it.

apparent side effect: the "ih_ino" in the ihandle appears to be bogus.

this smells a lot like the infamous copy on write bug. it's probably
similar though not the same