[OpenAFS] AFS file-number, volume-size limits?

William Bulley web@merit.edu
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:44:12 -0500

According to Stephen Joyce <stephen@physics.unc.edu>:

> FWIW I found this limit several years back on transarc 3.6 servers.  If I
> recall correctly, it's 64K files if filenames are < 32 characters and half
> that if filenames are over 32 characters. (this is from memory--I have it
> documented somewhere in my hundreds of megs of email...)
>
> The way I found the problem is that a student was trying to create 64K+1
> files in a directory and it crashed the fileserver process on the server
> housing that volume!  I opened a trouble-ticket with transarc and they
> eventually fixed the bug causing the fileserver crash, but when I asked for
> a fix to allow > 64K files/directory, I got ... well, not quite laughed at,
> but you get the idea.
>
> I don't know if the crash-fix made it into the OpenAFS code or not...

I have 2300+ files in one mounted directory in AFS that can crash
OpenAFS 1.2.8 on FreeBSD 4.8-REL with regularity should I forget
and issue an ls(1) command in that directory.  I have done some
limited experimentation (not too much, since it forces a reboot!)
which seems to indicate the "cut point" is closer to 1000 than 2000.

For the record, I have numerous files that have names >> 32 characters.

If I knew how and what to report and where, I would.   :-)

I am but a lowly user who lurks here.  This thread is the first
I've seen that relates to this irritating (for me) problem...

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: web@merit.edu
Merit Network Inc.                 Ann Arbor, Michigan