[OpenAFS] AFS file-number, volume-size limits?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:33:54 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, William Bulley wrote:

> > FWIW I found this limit several years back on transarc 3.6 servers.  If I
> > recall correctly, it's 64K files if filenames are < 32 characters and half
> > that if filenames are over 32 characters. (this is from memory--I have it
> > documented somewhere in my hundreds of megs of email...)
> >
> > The way I found the problem is that a student was trying to create 64K+1
> > files in a directory and it crashed the fileserver process on the server

                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (apples)
> > housing that volume!  I opened a trouble-ticket with transarc and they
> > eventually fixed the bug causing the fileserver crash, but when I asked for
> > a fix to allow > 64K files/directory, I got ... well, not quite laughed at,
> > but you get the idea.
> >
> > I don't know if the crash-fix made it into the OpenAFS code or not...
>
> I have 2300+ files in one mounted directory in AFS that can crash
> OpenAFS 1.2.8 on FreeBSD 4.8-REL with regularity should I forget
> and issue an ls(1) command in that directory.

> I am but a lowly user who lurks here.  This thread is the first
> I've seen that relates to this irritating (for me) problem...

not really. crashes the server isn't vaguely related to crashing the
client

that said, i don't know enough about freebsd to tell you how to get a
crash dump equivalent, or a backtrace from it. hopefully someone here can
(or did)