[OpenAFS] AFS file-number, volume-size limits?

Michael Loftis mloftis@wgops.com
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:36:54 -0700

--On Monday, November 10, 2003 10:44 -0500 William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
wrote:

> I have 2300+ files in one mounted directory in AFS that can crash
> OpenAFS 1.2.8 on FreeBSD 4.8-REL with regularity should I forget
> and issue an ls(1) command in that directory.  I have done some
> limited experimentation (not too much, since it forces a reboot!)
> which seems to indicate the "cut point" is closer to 1000 than 2000.

Apples and oranges....FreeBSD ls (as well as many ls implementations) are
brained when it comes to this because they have to or atleast try to read
everything about the directory into memory....ls uses a static arry to do
this and merrily kicks itself in the head on occasion doing so.  There also
IIRC is a kernel issue related to this but I'm a little fuzzy now about.