[OpenAFS] Stack overflows on Red Hat 2.4.20 kernels

Steve Snodgrass ssnodgra@pheran.com
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:09:39 -0400

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 02:28:05PM -0400, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> The do_softirq in there bothers me, we had a problem before where softirqs
> could trigger in any thread instead of just in the kernel softirq threads,
> and they can use too much stack given where they might trigger.
>
> And it's nothing we (afs) do causing it, the kernel tiggers them when it
> feels like it; RedHat had an errant patch triggering it when it shouldn't
> have been, and IIRC they fixed it at the time.
>
> You're right, it looks not much different. Did -fomit-frame-pointer appear
> in the arguments to cc when you were building the kernel module?

I'm not sure, but I've upgraded to Red Hat 9 to see if it makes any
difference, even though it uses basically the same kernel.  I'll post again
when the problem recurs or when I think it's not going to.

--
Steve Snodgrass * ssnodgra@pheran.com * Network and Unix Guru(?) at Large
Geek Code: GCS d? s: a C++ U++++$ P+++ L++ w PS+ 5++ b++ DI+ D++ e++ r+++ y+*