[OpenAFS] openafs-info FAQ and/or Wiki

John Tang Boyland boyland@solomons.cs.uwm.edu
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:36:04 -0500

Rodney M Dyer wrote:
] Um, this has been addressed at least several times on this list.  The least
] you could have done is searched the list for your answer.  Do we need to
] create an FAQ?

Apropos on getting help from openafs-info:
The archive is really hard to search: as far as I know, you just
have to look at every message to find out if it is talking about what
you want.  And even when you find a relevant message, it's hard to
tell what is authoritative.  For example, I've been following
the openssh + openafs on Solaris problem for a while and only have the
slightest clue of how it can be solved.  If I wrote the FAQ for this,
it would say:
   - First of all, make sure you compile with --with-pam.
   - Make sure you start sshd outside of a PAG.
     (link to unpagsh code.)
   - The sshd discards the PAG that PAM sets because it
     does authentication in a sub-process.  So the user has to
     start up a new pag and klog again after logging in.
   - This bad behavior *might* be able to be fixed if you:
     + use POSIX threads (although openssh recommends against this
       and it won't work with privsep), or
     + throw in your lot with GSSAPI
       (which involves doing the whole Kerberos V thing plus
       extra patches needed here and there) and it's not clear
       that GSSAPI actually fixes the PAG problem, or
     + add a set of patches that pass environment variables
       around in the sshd code.
   - Unfortunately, no definitive solution has been posted,
     and it isn't clear that openssh considers this a bug in their code.

The Wiki should include this sort of FAQ stuff about running openafs.
At the very least, it could include pointers to messages like the
one from Mr. Dyer that have all the information in one place.

John