[OpenAFS] Windows Loopback issues...

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:12:46 -0400

This is just informational, I'm not really looking to get these problems
fixed...

I'm about to roll out the loopback adapter on all of our networked XP AFS
clients.  Testing shows that it worked well at reducing problems caused by
losing network connectivity.

I was more than happy to find that some kind souls had already worked out a
silent install method for the loopback adapter.  Thanks to Scott Williams,
Ben Creech, and Kim Kimball.  Nice coding!

Some odd abnormalities...

1.  The "loopback_install.dll" did not work on XP SP1.  I got the following
dialog when trying to use
it...   http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer/loopback_error.jpg

2.  The loopback adapter install worked fine using the MSI
package.  However for testing, after removing the adapter from the Device
Manager, the adapter could not then be re-installed using the MSI
package.  The only way we could get the adapter re-installed was to use the
Add Hardware wizard.  As I have no immediate plans to remove the adapter
once installed, this should not be a problem.

Just letting you know.

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
Windows Systems Programmer
Mosaic Computing Group
William States Lee College of Engineering
Email: rmdyer@uncc.edu
Web: http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150