[OpenAFS] Which kind of cache is best?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:25:51 -0700

Frank Burkhardt <fbo2@gmx.net> writes:

> AFAIK there are 4 possibilities to set up a openafs-client's cache:

>  1. Memory-Cache
>  2. Ramdisk
>  3. The root-partition
>  4. A seperate partition

> With regard to performance: what is the best choice whan working with
> (a) big files and (b) thousends of small files?

I would recommend against using memory cache regardless of the load; we've
encountered a lot of instability and problems with it.  I think a ramdisk
would be more stable.

I don't expect 3 and 4 to have many differences when it comes to
performance.  I prefer 4 because it means that the root partition filling
for other reasons won't hose AFS.

When dealing with big files, obviously it's more useful to have a large
cache, perhaps larger than you want to devote memory to.