[OpenAFS] Which kind of cache is best?

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:13:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I would recommend against using memory cache regardless of the load; we've
> encountered a lot of instability and problems with it.  I think a ramdisk
> would be more stable.

What kind of stability problems?  What OS/OpenAFS combination?

FWIW, I've used memory caches (not ram disk caches) on Linux (RH 8.0 and
9.0, versions from OpenAFS 1.2.5 to OpenAFS 1.2.9), and Solaris (1.2.10)
without any obvious problems... *knocks on wood*

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C

A picture is worth a thousand words; unfortunately,
it consumes the bandwidth of ten thousand words.