[OpenAFS] Which kind of cache is best?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:33:44 -0700

Stephen Joyce <stephen@physics.unc.edu> writes:

> What kind of stability problems?  What OS/OpenAFS combination?

> FWIW, I've used memory caches (not ram disk caches) on Linux (RH 8.0 and
> 9.0, versions from OpenAFS 1.2.5 to OpenAFS 1.2.9), and Solaris (1.2.10)
> without any obvious problems... *knocks on wood*

Solaris, every version of AFS that we've tried from Transarc 3.6 days up
to fairly recent versions of OpenAFS (1.2.9 or so, maybe 1.2.8).  All
sorts of problems from system panics to cache corruption to weird problems
with not picking up released volumes.  We tried it again recently by
accident on one of our web servers a few months ago and the system would
reliably panic under load; switching back to the disk cache made the
problem go away.