[OpenAFS] Cache size question

John Gruenenfelder johng@bach.as.arizona.edu
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:32:31 -0700

I am working to set up a cell with four machines.  Three will be file servers
and clients and the fourth will be just a client.  The idea is to allow us to
better utilize the storage on three of our larger machines and move away from
NFS which has given us some headaches.

Most of our files are of typical sizes, very small up to a few megabytes.
However, we do work with a large amount of astronomical data an on occasion
these files can be very huge, say 2 or 3 GB.

Does the AFS cache have to be large enough to hold the biggest file you will
ever use, or can it be much smaller (about 1GB) and just grab parts of those
really big files?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
                        johng@as.arizona.edu