[OpenAFS] mysterious freezes

Steve Snodgrass ssnodgra@pheran.com
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:24:51 -0400

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:34:48AM -0700, Lee Damon wrote:
> We've been having a lot of mysterious deaths/freezes over the past several
> months.  It dropped off for a while, but is back with a vengence of late.
>
> The symptoms are mixed.  Some systems die with the screen blanker on
> (no hope of seeing what's on the console), some die with the screen
> saver completely frozen (if they were running X), some die scrolling
> stuff on the console so fast there is no hope of reading any of it, etc.
> They are frequently pingable, and when you telnet to a port (22, for
> example) you get a connection, but no banner.

Lee,

As I think I said to you in an email a while back, I've seen similar
problems running OpenAFS under Red Hat 7.3.  The good news is that the
problem appears to have gone away once I upgraded to Red Hat 9.  Since
Red Hat 7.x is no longer supported as of the end of this year, you may
want to consider upgrading anyway.

--
Steve Snodgrass * ssnodgra@pheran.com * Network and Unix Guru(?) at Large
Geek Code: GCS d? s: a C++ U++++$ P+++ L++ w PS+ 5++ b++ DI+ D++ e++ r+++ y+*