[OpenAFS] Unicode filenames with Win client (fwd)

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:54:13 -0400 (EDT)

Anyone have any insight regarding this?  Here's how to duplicate:

	Store roaming profiles (including "Favorites") in AFS... allow that
		folder to roam with the profile.
	Visit your favorite foreign-character-intensive site (I used
		www.yahoo.co.kr).  Add this file to your favorites.
	Log out (which syncs the profile, including the favorites, into
		AFS).

	SSH into your favorite linux/solaris client and look at the
		resultant file name.  For me, it looks something
		like ??! ???.lnk*

Because ? isn't a legal character in windows filenames, if you try to use
the roaming profile again without first removing the offending characters,
the profile can't be copied.

I've verified this behavior using OpenAFS 1.2.6 and OpenAFS 1.2.10 on WinXP
SP1.

Interestingly, if you simply save the page to the local filesystem (C:) and
then attempt to copy it into AFS, Windows says "Cannot copy <file>: The
filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"... I'm
assuming that the roaming-profile sync process ignores this error and
squashes the illegal characters to ?'s...???

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C

A picture is worth a thousand words; unfortunately,
it consumes the bandwidth of ten thousand words.