[OpenAFS] Re: Drive mapping difficulties in Windows

Joseph H. Buehler aspam@cox.net
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:59:07 -0400

Peter Schüller wrote:

> In the past I have gotten around this by simply not mapping drives at all in
> the user settings; but rather only mapping global drives. This worked, until
> today when I added a third client machine at the location in question (it's a
> off-site office where people switch computers back and forth, which isn't the
> case at the main office).
>
> On the new machine, I have so far been unable to make the global drive
> mappings have an effect (they just don't get mapped - I have no clue why). In
> other words, in order to have any mappings at all by default, I need to
> configure them on a per-user level; which causes the above problem when the
> user switches machine.
>
> The new machine is running AFS 1.2.10; the others 1.2.8a. I don't know if that
> is the reason for the change in behavior. I may try going back to 1.2.8a, but
> that would be a shame.

I posted the following a while ago, perhaps this is your problem.

Joe Buehler

The IBM Windows client automatically mounts my global drives when I log
in to Windows (I believe it does it when the machine boots,
but I would have to check that).

The 1.2.9a OpenAFS client does not.

I checked registry keys, and there appear to be a couple things
missing for OpenAFS.  Installing them by hand fixes the problem.

KEY   /HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/NetworkProvider/Order/ProviderOrder
VALUE LanmanWorkstation,TransarcAFSDaemon

KEY   /HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/TransarcAFSDaemon/NetworkProvider/LogonScript
VALUE C:\PROGRA~1\IBM\AFS\Client\Program\afscreds.exe -:%s -x

Adding the first key did not fix the problem, but once I added the second one also,
everything works properly.  Note that the LogonScript value will depend on where you
installed AFS.