[OpenAFS] Problems with Windows XP Home?

Kevin Coffman kwc@citi.umich.edu
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:23:25 -0400

We have heard reports that some of our users have had problems
installing the Windows client on XP Home machines; perhaps only on Dell
laptops.*  This is the OpenAFS 1.2.8 client that we put on our "Blue
Disk".  Has anyone else experienced trouble with the windows client on
XP Home?

We recommend that our users use XP Pro, but these were machines
purchased outside and brought on campus.

* What I have heard is that the users have trouble with the Service
startup, but XP Home lacks the tools to properly deal with services.
Booting in safe mode doesn't allow fixing the services, so they face a
re-install situation.  I don't know more details right now.

Thanks,
K.C.