[OpenAFS] Problems with Windows XP Home?

Noel Burton-Krahn noel@bkbox.com
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:33:17 -0700

Yes, my users have had issues with OpenAFS on WinXP too:

1. The computer name is too long.  Make sure the computer name is at most 10
alpha chars.  Its a silly limitation, and OpenAFS should explicitly complain
about it.

2. AFS doesn't announce its netbios name.  It should announce <NAME>-AFS.
If it doesn't, UNC links to AFS documents will time out.  To fix,  add this
to c:/windows/system/drivers/etc:

    127.0.0.1 NAME-AFS #PRE

3. Integrated login always times out and fails, even when "disabled" in the
registry.

Hope that helps

Noel Burton-Krahn
www.bkbox.com