[OpenAFS] Configuring openssh 3.7.1p2+AFS on Tru64 OS version 5.1A

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 02:59:29 -0400

Padiyath Sreekumaran <Kumar.Padiyath@psi.ch> writes:
>     Iam trying to configure openssh-3.7.1p2 on a Tru64 system with OS V5.1A.
> --with-ssl-dir=/usr/tmp/openssl
> configure:8869: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith
> -Wno-uninitialized -I/usr/tmp/open
> ssl/include -I/usr/tmp/zlib/include  -L/usr/tmp/openssl/lib
> -L/usr/tmp/zlib/lib  conftest.c -lr
> t -lz  -lsecurity -ldb -lm -laud -lcrypto >&5
> configure:8850:30: openssl/opensslv.h: No such file or directory
#include <openssl/opensslv.h>
> $ls /usr/tmp/openssl/include/
> Makefile           des.h              krb-archaeology.h  otp.h
> rtbl.h

Your openssl install is defective.  In order for openssh to be happy,
/usr/tmp/openssl/include should contain a single subdirectory openssl
which contains everything else.  A straight install of openssl should
do that by default, so I don't know how you made what you have.

You did a great job of including all the relevant information to
diagnose this -- but if you did, I am most puzzled as to why you
couldn't figure out the actual compiler error -- this is fairly basic.
Lack of sleep?  However, if you aren't familiar with C, I would
strongly urge that you get more familiar with it.  Most people take
courses for this; but self-study works fine as well; that's certainly
how I learned C (UM was switching from AlgolW to Pascal at the time, or
I could have learned Fortran and PL/1...)

Most people would not choose to build or install production software in
/usr/tmp .  Where to do either is very much a matter of choice, but as
a matter of practice, you generally want to install somewhere that is
not contained under a world writeable directory, and if you don't keep
your build area around, you want to keep good information on from where
the pieces came and how you built them, so that for the *next* openssh
build, you don't have to start all over from scratch.  There is a
school of thought that says you should not keep build areas, and the RH
RPM system and LFS methodology (for instance) both rely on this.  But
for obscure systems with more chance of weirdness, this may not be so
good.

If you were building in /usr/tmp but planning to install elsewhere,
think how any shared libraries you build are going to work.  Shared
libraries are a fine thing, but binaries break if they can't find
shared libraries, and they break worse if they find the wrong shared
libraries.

				-Marcus Watts