[OpenAFS] humungous disk caches

Michael Wildpaner mike@rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:18:06 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Bryan,

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Bryan Bayerdorffer wrote:
> Ok, ext3 it is.  So what's the practical upper limit on the size of the disk
> cache?  Switching to ext3 didn't affect the apparent 16GB limit, beyond which
> the first access to /afs will hang.  Nothing in the kernel log. I haven't yet
> straced, but I will if there isn't an easy answer to this.
>
> Our apps are characterized by very large files that are read often and modified
> only rarely, so I'd like to see if a large disk cache (128GB) will improve
> performance.

Did you ever manage to increase the cache size any further? We are having
the same problem (Bioinformatics, large readonly files that change weekly
via 'vos release'), and were not able to get larger client disk-cache
sizes.

Best wishes, Mike

--
Life is like a fire.                            DI Michael Wildpaner
Flames which the passer-by forgets.                    Ph.D. Student