[OpenAFS] Connecting from a Windows client: 'Error 8: user doesn't exist'

Christophe BERNARD Christophe.BERNARD@cmm.ensmp.fr
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:22:47 +0200 (CEST)

Hello. I cannot connect from a windows client to an AFS server, whereas
this works from a linux client.

  klog user [and password] is accepted from linux
  klog user [and same password] is refused in windows Xp.

The user was created in both the pt and ka databases.

The cell and realm name are the same (cell is name.tld and realm
NAME.TLD). The CellServDB are the same on the windows and linux client.
Openafs is the latest release everywhere (winxp and linux clients,
server).

Spoofing with tcpdump the packets sent by either client, I noticed that
the authentication request is different where using the linux or windows
client.

>From linux, a connection goes to the afs3-kaserver port (7004), then to
the afs3-prserver port (7002).

>From windows, a connection goes to the kerberos port (88), with a command
string

   "v4 le KDC_REQUEST user.@NAME.TLD"

(notice the dot after the user
name). The response is

   "v4 le ERR_REPLY: user.@NAME.TLD PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN ^JKerberos error "

obviously, the authentication fails at that point.

Is this difference in behaviour normal? If not, is there a way to
configure the windows client to authenticate exactly the same way as the
linux client? I scanned all the client configuration options, and did not
find much room for variations.

Regards,

Christophe.

--
    Christophe BERNARD - Centre de Morphologie Mathématique
École des Mines de Paris - 35, rue Saint-Honoré - 77305 Fontainebleau cedex