[OpenAFS] Error 98: Requested ticket lifetime invalid

Eggert, Richard W, II (Rich), GVSOL rweggert@att.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:51:37 -0600

I have a network with one server running Red Hat Linux 9, one laptop
running Windows XP (with the OpenAFS client), and one desktop machine
dual booting Windows XP and Fedora (with OpenAFS client installed in
both).  Everything was working fine until recently.  I can still log in
via Linux, but trying to log into AFS on either Windows machine fails
with "Error 98: Requested ticket lifetime invalid."  The only changes
I've made recently have been to properly configure NTP on the Linux side
of the desktop machine, the upgrade from Red Hat Linux 9 to Fedora (with
the corresponding upgrade of OpenAFS) on the Linux side of the desktop
machine, and some tweaking of the firewall on the server in order to get
NTP working properly.  I'm at a loss as to how to fix this.

Does anybody have any ideas?

On a side note, I believe some sort of hardware failure on the desktop
machine may be imminent, as its system clock has been drifting wildly as
of late.  However, clock drift on the laptop (which also has been
getting Error 98) has been minimal, and I still get this problem on the
desktop machine even when I'm sure the clocks are sync'd up (and it
still seems to work fine under Linux).

Rich Eggert