[OpenAFS] afsdb refresh interval

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:02:26 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, David Botsch wrote:

> If I were to move database servers and did this by updating the afsdb records
> in dns, how long would it take the clients to find the new servers (assuming
> cell db servers not in CellServDB)?
>
> Do the clients only check dns on the first access to the cell, on every
> transaction, every x transactions, every x minutes/hours?

Curious.  It appears nobody has responded to this.  And the
regulars are usually so quick, too.  :-)

What _should_ happen is the same as what happens for any other
DNS record.  Anybody who caches it should do so only until the
assigned TTL runs out.  What _does_ happen depends on how it's
coded.  Hopefully it's not as bad as some of the web browsers
we've run into that won't notice a change without being restarted
first.

-Mitch