[OpenAFS] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon? Workarounds?

Steve Wray stevew@catalyst.net.nz
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 07:47:26 +1200

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 06:27, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Steve Wray wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > We want to use AFS but the server which we want to use needs 2.6
> > kernel.
[snip]
> > 1. Is 2.6 RW support going to happen any time soon? Like weeks,
> > months, years?
>
> your points are 0, 1 and 3. what happened to 2?

2=3

[snip]
> > 3. Does the server need to be able to mount its own AFS volumes or
> > can it happily function without the kernel module and have its
> > volumes populated by a client?
>
> on linux, server doesn't need kernel module and on any plaatform
> server need not be a client

I've had some experience with coda (not good experience) and populating
a volume from a client was extremely slow.

Would this be the case with AFS? I am noticing a lot of similarities
with coda (IIRC AFS was a fork of coda?).

We have around 20G which we would like to serve via AFS, in the case of
coda I would be better off waiting a couple of weeks (for the server to
get its kernel module) because thats how long it would take to transfer
the data across :)