[OpenAFS] Windows Client v1.3.63 cannot access RW path

John Koyle jkoyle@rfpdepot.com
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:39:41 -0600

My initial reply went directly to Jeffrey - sorry :(

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 16:21, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> John Koyle wrote:
> > With the AFS client installed, I can access everything under the RO Path
> > (/afs/cell.name).  I can even write to non replicated RW Volume.
> >
> > I can't seem to access anything under the RW Path however
> > (/afs/.cell.name).  The drive letter will mount, but nothing shows up
> > under it.
> RW paths using the \\AFS\.cell.name notation was missing
> in the 1.3.63 release.  \\AFS\all\.cell.name works
>
> > \\hostname-AFS\all only show's the RO Path.
> However, the freelance client only supports RO volumes
> If you want the RW volumes you must have a home cell
> and disable freelance mode.   (Either re-install and
> uncheck "freelance" or modify the registry and reboot)

Modifiying the registry and rebooting did indeed work, thanks!

May I ask what exactly the "freelance" mode is?  I see several notes in
the registry.txt file stating to "see afsdb-freelance-notes" but
couldn't find it.

Searching the list archives I find a brief mention of it helping mobile
users use the AFS client.

Thanks again,
John