[OpenAFS] Kerberos 5 cache in /tmp

Christopher Allen Wing wingc@engin.umich.edu
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:21:08 -0400 (EDT)

root on a unix workstation is total access; someone with root access
could, for instance, replace the login program or sshd binary with a
version that steals your password every time you log in.

Basically, you should not type your password into a computer where someone
you do not trust has root access.

If you are the administrator of all the machines in question, a better
solution might be to try and eliminate the need to give out root access
where possible. For instance, if the only reason why someone requires root
is to perform a few tasks you could have them use sudo instead.

It's not difficult to steal tokens; all you need to know is the PAG number
of the user's process (which you can get via 'ps'). See:

	http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~wingc/code/stealpag.c

-Chris Wing
wingc@engin.umich.edu