[OpenAFS] SUN Solaris package for Openafs.

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:53:58 -0400

On Wednesday, April 07, 2004 23:26:33 +0200 Sergio Gelato
<Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se> wrote:

> Many Solaris package sets are also split along *u/*r (User/Root) lines,
> with the *r package usually including startup scripts and/or
> configuration files. I'm not sure this is useful for OpenAFS,
> though (unlike the previous suggestions, which will help conserve
> disk space).

Actually, it is.
The reason that Solaris packages are often split into r and u components is
because they support a model where /usr is a shared filesystem, mounted
from NFS.  In such an environment, the u packages don't get installed on
the client machines that don't have their own /usr

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer