[OpenAFS] /afs does not exist

Dexter 'Kim' Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:36:59 -0600

Is /afs available on other AFS clients?  That rules out some possibilities.

I'd go to a well-behaved client, cd /afs, fs flushv, cd /afs and see if /afs
is still available on that client.

I'd also be interested in

  vos exa root.afs
  vos exa root.afs.readonly

to see if the root.afs and root.afs.readonly volumes are on line, though if
/afs is available on other clients the output is moot.

rxdebug <hostname> 7001    will give you some info about activity on the AFS
client's callback port

df to see if /afs still appears in the output

You don't mention the debug level of your fileserver.  kill -HUP <PID of
fileserver> will set debug levels to 0 (default).  kill -TSTP bumps one
level per kill -- to levels 1, 5, 25 -- some experiments I've done (but not
yet repeated) indicate some performance impact at debug level 25 but none at
levels 1 or 5.  Not sure if anything would show up so might try this late in
the game.

Create a new volume on the fileserver, mount it, make sure it's accessible.

Check the afsd startup arguments and make sure that

[-rootvol <name of AFS root volume>]
and
[-mountdir <mount location>]

don't change the default root volume (root.afs) or default root directory
(/afs).  Unlikely but worth checking pro forma.

afsmonitor -cm <hostname> -fs <hostname> -freq 5

will tell you if there's any activity on the cache manager/fs ;  you're
probably not interested in -fs if the fileserver is behaving
orrectly.  -freq 5 specifies 5 second update interval instead of the 60 sec
default.  Your mileage may vary.  I like to see numbers change more
frequently than every minute.

When was the client last confirmed working correctly?

Kim

Kim (Dexter) Kimball
CCRE, Inc.
afsinfo at ccre dot com