[OpenAFS] AFS volume move speed

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:22:34 +0200

On Monday, April 19, 2004, at 02:24 PM, Lukas Kubin wrote:

> When moving a volume from one server to another it runs at speed of
> 5Mbps (network speed). However, the connection is 1Gbps and both the
> servers are powerfull Dell servers (2 Intel Xeon, 2GB RAM) only
> dedicated for OpenAFS service. In the time of the move, no other
> meaningfull proccesses are running there.
> Both servers are running Debian Linux on kernel 2.4.24.
> The AFS processes fileserver, volserver etc. are running without any
> parameters.
> Is the speed normal or should I tune the performance somehow?
> Thank you.

As I mentioned earlier ... IMHO it could be faster.
I'm not shure about how to fix it. I saw fileserver without any
'tuning' acting faster than that and I saw 'tuned' fileserver being
that slow, too.
So, if you're not using AFS. Is your network that fast??
I'm talking about scp, ftp, whatever...

Horst