[OpenAFS] Re: openafs on Solaris 10

Jeff Woodward Jeffrey.B.Woodward@Dartmouth.EDU
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:40:54 -0400 (EDT)

Klas,

Several people have now asked on an individual basis, and I have
provided access to my tarball that includes both the hacked source
and well as binaries ready to go for Soloaris 10. I haven't heard back
from any of them (so I will assume that the client is working). I had
grand plans of finishing a proper port; however, life has gotten in
the way of that for the time being -- so for everyone else on the list
who has been waiting patiently, I apologize.

Here is a link to the tarball as it stands now:

http://voxel.fmridc.org/~jnw/openafs-1.2.10.tgz

All of the caveats that appeared in my original post still apply now;
however, I did add a "patch" from Sun that is a slight improvement over
the original hacks for the missing so_unbind call.

Here is a quick recap:
*) I used the following options in my configure (in case you
   just want to use the prebuilt binaries):
   ./configure --enable-namei-fileserver--enable-fast-restart -with-afs-sysname=sun4x_510 --enable-transarc-paths

*) Solaris 10 (at least the beta build that I last looked at) doesn't
   include libtermlib.a  I took one from a Solaris 9 system (and, probably
   illegally, included it in the above tarball). If you want to rebuild
   the binaries, you will probably want to copy it to /usr/lib. I hope
   that somebody has the time to fix this properly.

*) The build system is looking for cpp in /lib. On Solaris 10, cpp is in
   /usr/lib. I should have fixed the build system; however, I simply made
   a symlink from /lib/cpp -> /usr/lib/cpp.

*) If you do a make clean and a reconfigure, vfsck will be put back in the
   Makefile, but it doesn't build under Solaris 10. Hopefully, somebody
   that understands vfsck will fix it -- it wasn't important to me at the
   time because: a) I enable-namei-fileserver, and b) I wasn't ready to
   test the fileserver anyway. In the meantime, it is easy enough to just
   remove vfsck from the [primary] Makefile after you reconfigure.

The client binaries have been very stable for us, so I hope that the
OpenAFS community finds them useful enough to help complete a proper
patch to the source (and to forgive me for the current pile of hacks
that I made).

-Jeff