[OpenAFS] Win XP afsd_service crashes

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@columbia.edu
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:43:53 -0400

--------------050504090704000001090808

Examine the %WINDIR%\TEMP\afsd_init.log file to see which adapter
the afsd_service.exe is binding to.  If it is not the MS Loopback
adapter, fix the configuration to use "auto" instead of a fixed
adapter number.

Failing to specify a static address to the loopback adapter
may very well be the problem if the wireless adapter is assigned
an address by DHCP faster than it takes the loopback adapter to
timeout and choose 169.x.y.z address.

Jeffrey Altman

Joe Buehler wrote:

> I have a user who has several adapters on his laptop.
> The only active one is a wireless adapter.  It comes up
> when he logs in.  The April 17 build of the windows client
> crashes, I assume because of the network adapter configuration.
>
> I added the microsoft loopback adapter to give afsd_service.exe
> something more stable to bind to, but this didn't help.  One thing
> I have not tried yet is a static address on the loopback.
>
> Any suggestions?

--------------050504090704000001090808

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Examine the %WINDIR%\TEMP\afsd_init.log file to see which adapter<br>
the afsd_service.exe is binding to.&nbsp; If it is not the MS Loopback<br>
adapter, fix the configuration to use "auto" instead of a fixed<br>
adapter number.<br>
Failing to specify a static address to the loopback adapter<br>
may very well be the problem if the wireless adapter is assigned<br>
an address by DHCP faster than it takes the loopback adapter to<br>
timeout and choose 169.x.y.z address.<br>
Jeffrey Altman<br>
 face="Bitstream Cyberbit">I have a user who has several adapters on
his laptop.
The only active one is a wireless adapter.&nbsp; It comes up
when he logs in.&nbsp; The April 17 build of the windows client
crashes, I assume because of the network adapter configuration.
I added the microsoft loopback adapter to give afsd_service.exe
something more stable to bind to, but this didn't help.&nbsp; One thing