[OpenAFS] Linux kernel panic, OpenAFS, gconf

Miles Davis miles@cs.stanford.edu
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:09:28 -0700

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:50:33PM -0400, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Miles Davis wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I've been trying to track down a kernel panic we've been experiencing for
> > a couple of months now without success. I googled around and checked my
> > list archives, but I can't find anything that seems to match my problem.
> >
> > A user has a research job that (for reasons I cannot explain) starts/stops
> > gnome sessions in quick succession to do <something>. If somebody wants
> > more detail, I'll try to find out exactly what it does, but it seems
> > secondary to the problem at the moment. The main thing to think about is a
> > login-run stuff-logout loop.
> >
> > This worked fine on a local filesystem, but will eventually (within hours)
> > crash the client system when hosted in AFS. The trouble starts at some
> > point with gconf, my favorite program [:)], being unable or unwilling to
> > release a lock. I see this in the logs:
>
> you have the infamous gconf lock problem, which i'm overdue to spend some
> time on. however, it shouldn't crash the client.

Agreed. :) I have lots of gconf problems, but this is the only one that
causes a crash.

> > Apr 25 19:47:59 moa kernel: EIP is at osi_Panic [libafs-2.4.20-24.9-i686.mp] 0x20 (2.4.20-31.9smp)
> > Apr 25 19:47:59 moa kernel: eax: 00000003   ebx: f8d51240   ecx: 00200002   edx: d967bdf4
> > Apr 25 19:47:59 moa kernel: [<f8b5ea53>] afs_lookup [libafs-2.4.20-24.9-i686.mp] 0x7b3 (0xd967be74))
>
> so what's in /var/log/messages?
> osi_Panic should log a message, and there are several in afs_lookup

That was /var/log/messages. Nothing besides the two blocks I sent. (Well,
not totally true: after the panic there are various normal messages, sshd
and the like as people login to try and use the machine).

If it helps to know, existing ssh / krlogin sessions are still active,
but running anything in them hangs. I am able to login on the console, but
likewise everything hangs. Three-finger salute almost succeeds in
rebooting the system, but not quite -- a hard reset/power cycle is still
needed.

--
// Miles Davis - miles@cs.stanford.edu - http://www.cs.stanford.edu/~miles
// Computer Science Department - Computer Facilities